Women desks in Police Stations
Women Help Desks have been set up in Lion share of the Police Stations in the State, since February 2006, under the charge of Women Police Personnel, with an aim to help Women and Children seeking Police help, which they can do without any fear or inhibitions. Cases of atrocities against Women and Children, and harassment of women at home, work places or in public places, come under the purview of the Women Help Desks. These have proved to be extremely successful.
The Women Help Desk in a Police Station is under the control of a WSCPO/WCPO who listens to the complainants patiently and sympathetically, and will take the matter to higher authorities wherever it is necessary. The Women Help Desk also provides adequate and proper awareness to the Women and Children to approach the concerned authorities on various issues. The Women Help Desk is functioning during the day time ie. from 8 AM to 6 PM on all days. This system has been found to be a great success to redress the grievances of the Women and Children.
Women Help Desks have been functioning in all the Police Stations within the jurisdiction of Kollam Rural Police District for the last two years.
Senior Citizen Help Desk
Now a days the phenomenon of the growth of elderly population (60+) in India is alarming. In India, the culture of sending elderly persons to Old Age Homes is spreading with a remarkable pace. In 2002, of the total number of 1018 old age homes in India registered with the Help Age India, 186 were from Kerala. The old age population in India in 1961 was 25.6 million while after 30 years i.e., in 1991 it was more than double which comes to 56.7 million. In Kerala the old age population is much higher than that of the other states. It is also to be noted that majority of old age people in Kerala are widows. In 1991, among the old age people in the range of 60-69, 53.8% are widows and among those above 70 years it comes to 69.20 percent. As such the issues related to the old age and their grievances are showing an increasing trend.
Statistics shoes that nine percent of our population is the elderly people and sixty seven percent of those elderly people are widows. By 2021, about 20 percent of our population will be elderly people and the demand for the social security system in this sector will enormously increase. So, it is highly important to remember that social security to the senior citizens is not a charity but it is their basic human right. Hence Senior Citizen Help Desks have been constituted in all Police Stations within the jurisdiction of Kollam Rural Police District and being functioned properly under the strict supervision of Inspectors of Police concerned. Functioning of the Senior Citizen Help Desks in this unit have improved the life style, security feeling and reduced the loneliness of the elderly people.
The Senior Citizen Help Desk is formed to ensure the safety and security of senior citizens dwelling in the jurisdiction. The main objectives and features of the scheme are as follows;
- The senior citizens of the age group of 60 and above who are staying alone or as couple are covered by this scheme.
- Such citizens can make registration to the Senior Citizen Forum online.
- Every fortnight a Maitri policeman will be visiting the registered senior citizen at his home and ensure him maximum sense of security and confidence.
- During night patrolling, the concerned area should be under close surveillance.
- The senior citizen is not needed to visit the police station in any circumstance to make his complaint. He just rings up the toll-free helpline number (1090, 100) for police help.
- The SHO himself will organize field visits to Senior Citizens giving them a better sense of Security and Confidence.
- The SHO will personally contact the senior citizens at least once in every month to assess and address their security concerns.
- The senior citizens can contact the District Police Chief in the event of any emergency.
- The SDPOs must conduct frequent survey in their jurisdiction to identify senior citizens, especially aged couples, living alone.
- Police will intensify patrolling and vehicle checks in areas where more number of aged couples are living.
- The Local Police will keep monitoring the registered Senior Citizens by interacting with them on Telephone on regular basis.
- Maitri Police will help the Senior Citizens in case of their personal problems.
- Regular advise on induction of Security & Safety measures required in the physical ambience and life style of Senior Citizens.
- Encouraging regular social interaction of Senior Citizens in the neighborhood.